Friday, May 30, 2008

Francis' Reflection

• Why did you choose the concepts you did to create your problem set?

Although all the questions were agreed on by Roxanne and myself, my main concern was the circular functions question, the exponential question and the trigonometry identities question. The circular functions because in the beginning of the year, I had the most trouble with that unit, and it really had me sweating. The exponential question because there were so many other equations and terms that seemed similar, and I had no idea which is important for the job at hand. The trigonometry identities question because solving them seemed to be hit and miss, one day I would totally grasp the concept and know what identities to use, and other days would be a total miss, where I would spend quite a bit of time staring at one question figuring out what identity would be most efficient.

• How do these problems provide an overview of your best mathematical understanding of what you have learned so far?

When I learn something, I usually try to memorize it, but I realized that by doing so, it wasn't good enough. I then understood that you have to understand it and by truly understanding it you can create it. It's a great feeling to know that we pretty much created questions from every single unit, it makes me feel as if I understand pre-calculus entirely, but then again, you can never entirely know everything. These problems show a good overview of my mathematical understanding by having a large range of different pre-calculus units that were once cloudy but are now clear.

• Did you learn anything from this assignment? Was it educationally valuable to you? (Be honest with this. If you got nothing out of this assignment then say that, but be specific about what you didn't like and offer a suggestion to improve it in the future.)

I was quite glad when I realized how successful this assignment was after we were finished, because I went into this stressing and asking myself 'How's this going to get done in time?' and 'How's this really going to help me learn?' but now that it's done I can look back and tell myself just how easy it was to flip back a few pages and look over old notes and re-read, re-write and re-create (re-everything for that matter) a once unclear unit. Although not every unit was all that easy to remember alone, but with the help of friends we would all finally remember because friends can be a great resource. I also finally noticed what I have learned, not only in pre-calculus, but I learned quite a bit about teamwork as well. When going through each lesson slowly, it doesn't seem like I've learned a lot, but once I looked back at it all at once, I saw how much I actually learned, it was quite a bit. This whole project seemed like one big review to help us in our exam, it was greatly needed. What I'm getting at is that I not only learned a lot about the math aspect, I learned good life values. This was definitely educationally valuable to me as a student, I just hope I won't forget anything, such as logarithms are exponents. Only time will tell. Thank you. The end.

No comments: