Friday, May 30, 2008

Elven's Reflection

* Why did you choose the concepts you did to create your problem set?

First I would like to state that FRANCIS YOU ARE WRONG. I had my part in adding these problems. Anyways, I think the main idea of this project is to best understand math. By doing that you create your own questions, understand what you're doing and what you're getting into. At first it might have been about choosing the easy and quick questions and get this thing over with. But as you can see we chose questions that we and the class may have problems with. Questions that were NOT long and tedious, but questions that were challenging and something you can learn from.

* How do these problems provide an overview of your best mathematical understanding of what you have learned so far?

When you learn something, majority of it you would just remember what to do. How to use it. Such as given a formula and plugging in the numbers. It was only until this year when I had began why you had this formula, and where this formula came from. Why you had to use it and what it gave as a result. These questions my group has chosen shown that we have a wide variety of questions we can manage. From circular functions to trigonometry identities. When you understand something, memorizing is useless.

* Did you learn anything from this assignment? Was it educationally valuable to you? (Be honest with this. If you got nothing out of this assignment then say that, but be specific about what you didn't like and offer a suggestion to improve it in the future.)

At first it was thought as get all the easy questions and finish this project ASAP. Instead it turned out to be finding questions that we knew would help us because they were unique, difficult and hard to understand. I was very lucky to be able to participate after missing many dates my group has planned to work on the project. It had seemed like the more effort that was put in, the more understanding the topic became. I enjoyed thinking of a story to go with the math problem. It really didn't seem clear at first. I thoughts were a story could not possibly be put together with a math problem. The time that it took me to think of a story was my only bother. Then it came to be that the stories only made this project more fun. I only wish I was there more for my group to help support them. Distance was a problem for me.

Not only this assignment was educationally valuable to me, but also taught me about responsibility towards my peers. I'm happy to be apart of this group and apart of this assignment. Something I may improve on is perhaps more explaining of the knowledge I had gained throughout this assignment. So definitely, I got something out of this assignment. Cheers.

No comments: